Eftichios S. Sartzetakis is a Professor of Environmental Economics, Vice Rector Research, Director of the M.A. in Economics and Director of the University’s Research Unit at University of Macedonia. Founding Director of the MSc in Law and Economics (a collaboration between the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki’s Law School and the University of Macedonia’s Department of Economics) and of the MSc in Sustainable Development at the International Hellenic University.
He has taught at Carleton University, Université Laval, University of British Columbia and Thompson Rivers University, Canada. In the latter, he served as chairperson of the Department of Economics and Finance. His research focuses on environmental economics and management. He has published a number of papers in leading academic journals, including: Economic Theory, Journal of Public Economic Theory, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Environmental and Resource Economics and Journal of Regulatory Economics. He is currently a member of the Editorial Board of the journal “Environment and Development Economics”, and member of international academic organisations. He is leading a number of basic and applied research projects on environmental economics and management, among which the Environmental Management System of the University of Macedonia which is certified by EMAS. He served as Lead Author in a number of committees and international projects, such as the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, and national projects such as the Bank of Greece’s Study Group for the Impact of Climate Change. He served as expert advisor to private firms and public authorities both in Canada and in Greece, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Energy, Climate Change and Environment.
- Diamantoudi E. and S. Sartzetakis (2015) “International environmental agreements: coordinated action under foresight”, Economic Theory, 59, pp. 527–546
- Latinopoulos D. and E. Sartzetakis (2015) “Using Tradable Water Permits in Irrigated Agriculture.” Environmental and Resource Economics 60, 349–370.
- Constantatos C., L. Filippiadis and E. S. Sartzetakis (2014) “Using the allocation of emission permits for Strategic Trade purposes,” Journal of Regulatory Economics, 45, pp. 259-280.
- Sartzetakis and A. Xepapadeas, E. Petrakis (2012) «The Role of Information Provision as a Policy Instrument to Supplement Environmental Taxes: Empowering Consumers to Choose Optimally», Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 52: 347-368.
- Diamantoudi E. and S. Sartzetakis (2006) “International Environmental Agreements: An Analytical Approach”, Journal of Public Economic Theory, 8 (2), pp. 247–263.
- Petrakis, E. Sartzetakis and A. Xepapadeas (2005) “Environmental Information Provision as a Public Policy Instrument” Contributions to Economic Analysis & Policy: Vol. 4: No. 1, Article 14.
- Sartzetakis E.S. (2004) “On the efficiency of Competitive Markets for Emission Permits», Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 27, No 1, pp.1-19
- Constantatos C. and E. S. Sartzetakis (1999) “On Commodity Taxation in Vertically Differentiated Markets”, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 17, pp. 1203-1217.